Re: Possible causes of ORA-01630: max extents reached.

From: Connor McDonald <mcdonald.connor.cs_at_bhp.com.au>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 1998 12:58:49 +0800

tmcconechy_at_bcbc.bc.ca wrote:

> When running a report in our production system which used to work fine.
> The client recieves the ORA-01630: max extents (249) reached in temp segment
> in tablespace TEMP.
>
> There are many extents and over 500 megs of space left for the system.
>
> What could possibly be causing my problem.
>
> Thanks for any advise!

> http://www.dejanews.com/ Now offering spam-free web-based newsreading

If you are running cost optimiser, changes in the stats may/will change the access path oracle chooses to get you data..

So (for example) your query may have switched from using nested loops (which require negligible temp space) to merge (which requires a bucketload more)...

Look at EXPLAIN'ing your query...If it has to run that way, then look at your temp/sort space as other posters have suggested...

Cheers
Connor
--

Connor McDonald
BHP Information Technology

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad." Received on Fri Apr 17 1998 - 23:58:49 CDT