Re: Hot backups : Catching the last Archived redo log at the end of the backup cycle.

From: jared still <jkstill_at_teleport.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 1998 02:32:43 GMT

On 11 Apr 1998 12:32:31 GMT, lijoecyn_at_netspace.net.au (joseph Li) wrote:

>I usually do not copy the archived redo logs as part of the Hot backup,
>I just leave say a week's worth of archived redo logs on disks, so that
>when I do need to restore I only have to restore the database files from
>tape. Having said that, the archived redo logs on disks can also be
>backed up to tape as part of Operating System backup. This is assuming
>you have enough disk space to store a couple of days worth of archived
>redo logs.

If you don't backup the archive logs, you don't have a complete backup.

If you lost a datafile, and one of the archived logs, you would be unable to recover.

Jared Still
Certified Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist ;) Regence Blue Cross Blue Shield of Oregon jkstill_at_bcbso.com
jkstill_at_teleport.com Received on Fri Apr 17 1998 - 21:32:43 CDT