Documenation for count(*) and table scans

From: Jim Morgan <jimmorgan_at_csi.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 09:38:48 -0400

Does anyone know where I can find Oracle documentation that talks about the intricacies of making count(*) use indexes to maximize performance? I've always sidestepped this issue somehow in my applications but now I have a situation where I must take care of it.

I've heard conflicting information in this newsgroup and I'd like an official Oracle doc to get an accurate answer. I am looking for ways of making count(*) work efficiently when the only indexes you have defined for a table are compound indexes. I want to avoid doing a table scan.

--
Regards,
Jim Received on Fri Apr 17 1998 - 08:38:48 CDT