Help with CURSORS!!!

From: Michael Rosadino <mrosadino_at_snet.net>
Date: 1998/04/16

Given the code excerpt below, I'm getting compilation errors when I try to store the procedure
in our database:

**************************/

PROCEDURE CURSOREX IS
BEGIN
  DECLARE
    vRevDivNm VARCHAR2(3);
    CURSOR c IS SELECT REVENUE_DIVISION_NM FROM REVENUE_DIVISION;   BEGIN
    OPEN c;
    LOOP
      FETCH c INTO vRevDivNm;
      EXIT WHEN c%NOTFOUND;
      DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE('Division: '||vRevDivNm);
    END LOOP;
    CLOSE c;
  END;
END CURSOREX;

Compilation Errors:

  PLS-00201: identifier 'REF.REVENUE_DIVISION' must be declared   PLS-00320: the declaration of the type of this expression is incomplete or malformed

Now here's the strange part - when I execute this PL/SQL in SQL*Plus 3.3 as an anonymous
block, i.e., from the DECLARE through the first END, it executes fine and returns the
desired output. So why does it not compile as a stored procedure? P.S. server = Oracle v.7.2.3 on an HP/UNIX 3000 platform; client = MS Windows 95

Thanks in advance,

Michael Rosadino,
Gerber Technology, Inc.
E-Mail: mrosadino_at_snet.net Received on Thu Apr 16 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT