Re: NT for Production Machine

From: Brett Neumeier <random_at_nospam.com>
Date: 16 Apr 1998 18:38:34 GMT

Michael Rothwell <michael_rothwell_at_non-hp-usa-om46.om.hp.com> wrote:
> Then you need to have someone look at how the NT box is set
> up and someone to look at how Oracle is set up. I have NT
> boxes with Oracle 7.3.x running on them for several weeks
> without any problems. The only time I do shut them down is
> not because there was a problem with the database.

You seem to be implying that, because /we/ are having problems and /you/ are not, the only feasible explanation is that we have set up our environment incorrectly. This conclusion, while reasonable, is hardly the only explanation. Especially in light of the fact that we /have/ had people looking at both the OS and Oracle several times.

It seems more likely to me that we are doing different things with /our/ database than you are with yours; perhaps our database activity or access method puts more stress on the server.

What is clear from our experience is that NT is less stable than Unix.

-bn
(the domain is really "enteract") Received on Thu Apr 16 1998 - 13:38:34 CDT