Server Mode

From: <vivekus_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 12:27:09 -0600

Hi,
I'm interested in finding the state/mode of the server/database from Windows 95. The server/database could be at a remote location. How do I do it? I plan to use it in a 'C' program. Is there any function, API or anything that can finger/ping the server and tell me if the server is up, down or in any other state? If yes, what arguments does it take and what are the returned results? Any ideas, suggestions would be welcome. Please also note that I have NEVER seen or worked on Oracle, so suggestions and/or solutions would be highly appreciated!
Cheers, Viv