Server Mode from Windows 95

From: <vivekus_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 12:02:23 -0600

Hi,
How do I find the state/mode of the database server from Windows 95? I need to know if a particular database is up, down or in any other state/mode. Is there any 'C' function, API or anything else that I can plug into my 'C' code (on Windows 95) and get the state of the server? If yes, what are the parameters and the return values?
Thanks, Viv