Re: 40 Million rows?

From: David Fetter <dfetter_at_shell4.ba.best.com>
Date: 16 Apr 1998 03:55:04 GMT

Ken Leach <KLeach_at_ids.net> wrote:
> I have the need to create a table in Oracle 7.3.4 for NT that will hold
> over 40 Million rows...
> I have never worked with a table so huge.. what suggestions do you
> have....

> Suggested hardware?

Sun Enterprise Server. You might get away with an amped-up Sun Ultra, but it won't scale much bigger. Last week, I ran a relatively uncomplicated (no cartesian products, etc) SELECT on a 50Mrow table, and it took a day and a half. This was on the previously mentioned Sun Ultra with four CPU's and half a gig of RAM. I'd be waiting for the results next month if I'd tried that on a Windows box.

> The current data will be given to me in a text file and I will have to
> populate the table somehow, I was thinking of writing a quick little
> delphi application for that. However I am more concerned with how to
> set up Oracle to accept such a HUGE table!?

Oracle provides much "Fine Material" for your "Read The" pleasure. :) Two fascinating items in said material are SQL*Loader and sqlldr.

> From what I know of the data there are about 10 columns, and number or
> char's. The data will remain static just need to create views and do
> query's off it...

> ANY suggestions are welcome.

Solaris on Sparc (not Intel) boxes can do what you need. There are probably other choices that work in the UNIX arena, but none on Windows, no matter what marketeers tell you.

--

            David Fetter         888 O'Farrell Street Apt E1205
   shackle_at_ren.glaci.com          San Francisco, CA 94109-7089 USA

According to my latest calculations, 64-bit systems will have a "millenium" problem on April 25, 292,271,025,015 at 09:30:07 GMT. Received on Wed Apr 15 1998 - 22:55:04 CDT