Re: HASH_AREA_SIZE - Tuning

From: S Chavali <nospam_at_iname.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 14:39:55 -0400

Cherie Machler wrote:

> Does anyone know where hash joins are done if the init.ora
> parameter HASH_AREA_SIZE is left at its default of 0?
>
> In what situations would the HASH_AREA_SIZE need
> to be larger than 0?
>
> I can't find this information in any of my tuning references.
>
> --
> Cherie Machler
> Consultant, Data By Design, Inc.
> cmachler_at_winternet.com

From the Oracle 7.3 Server Reference, I found the following -

HASH_AREA_SIZE Default value:

2 times the value of SORT_AREA_SIZE

Range of values:

any integer

This parameter specifies the maximum amount of memory, in bytes, to be used for the hash join. If this parameter is not set, its value defaults to twice the value of
the SORT_AREA_SIZE parameter.

You can change the value of this parameter without shutting down your Oracle instance by using the ALTER SESSION command.

--

hope this helps !
Srini

(to reply, change "nospam" to "chavali" in my email address. :-) ) Received on Wed Apr 15 1998 - 13:39:55 CDT