Re: Connecting to Oracle database

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.ml.org>
Date: 15 Apr 1998 11:39:02 -0700

In article <B491AFEA3214D1119E0300A0C943315C09095B_at_CAESAR1>, Rietveld, Timo <T.Rietveld_at_oreade.nl> wrote:
>Problem solved! Database was down...how could I know???

If your db is on unix, you could log onto the unix and do a ps -ef|grep ora_ This will show all the background processes running, with the SID appended. For example, if your SID is TIMO, you might see a process ora_dbwr_TIMO.

It is possible for the DBA to restrict access to the db with it running, though.

--
These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest

jgarry@eiq.com                           http://www.informationquest.com

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/joel_garry "See your DBA?" I AM the @#%*& DBA! Received on Wed Apr 15 1998 - 13:39:02 CDT