Re: Truncate Command

From: Brett Neumeier <random_at_nospam.com>
Date: 15 Apr 1998 16:45:17 GMT

Lui Yuan Tze <ssplyt_at_pacific.net.sg> wrote:
> Hi,
> What privileges is reqd for an oracle user to Truncate a table
> belonging to another schema ? I tried to grant Delete Table to
> the oracle user but still get insufficient privileges .

"Drop any table" privilege.

We found it worthwhile to create a PL/SQL utility procedure that uses DBMS_SQL to perform truncate table statements. That way, only the owner of the utility package needs "drop any table" privilege; other users only need execute privileges on the truncation procedure. (We were also able to put restrictions on the procedure so that only tables listed in a separate "truncatable" table would be truncated by the procedure.)

-bn
(the domain is really "enteract") Received on Wed Apr 15 1998 - 11:45:17 CDT