Re: How to set up database in shared mode?

From: Bill Hayden <dba0064_at_edwardjones.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 14:31:48 -0500

aa wrote:

> I want to sent up my database to be used by more than 1 instance. When I
> type
> Startup database mount shared
> it complained I need to install the Lock Manager first. What am I missing?

You are missing the DLM (distributed lock manager). For most platforms in Oracle 7, this is provided by the hardware vendor. I believe that Oracle 8 has it included in the distribution for most of the hardward vendors.

The DLM manages locks between the database instances in a parallel database.

--

Bill Hayden
Edward Jones