Re: Listeners, Instances, Ports, ...

From: Chuck Hamilton <chuckh_at_dvol.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 16:16:00 GMT

On Thu, 09 Apr 1998 22:52:34 GMT, JRStern_at_primalsys.com (JRStern) wrote:

>On 9 Apr 1998 11:26:50 -0700, joelga_at_pebble.ml.org (Joel Garry) wrote:
>>I'd advise springing for some hardcopies. You likely have everything on cd.
>
>I do? Er, yes, and would you believe, also already on my disk. How
>about that? OTOH, a quick perusal regarding tablespaces leaves me
>still unenlightened. However, I'm now told they are just raw space.

They are logical containers of data (tables or indices). Logical structures (tables and indices) reside in tablesapces. Tablespaces in turn are mapped to physical storage (i.e. datafiles) on the disk. You can have many tables or indices in a tablespace, and a tablespace can be comprised of one or many datafiles.

Locical      mytable1   mytable2   myindex1
Logical        |      Tablespace       |
Physical        file1            file2

--
Chuck Hamilton
chuckh_at_dvol.com

If at first you don't succeed, sky diving isn't for you. Received on Tue Apr 14 1998 - 11:16:00 CDT