Re: Externally authentication / OS_AUTHENT_PREFIX for NT

From: Joel R. Kallman <jkallman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 13:18:54 GMT

You also want to ensure that you have the following line in your SQLNET.ORA file:

        SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES = (NTS) The step-by-step instructions for setting up OS authentication on Windows NT is in Chapter 11 of the Getting Started manual (for release 8.0.4 for Windows NT, that is).

On 14 Apr 1998 07:51:08 -0400, rwessman_at_us.oracle.com wrote:

>granta_at_nospam.student.canberra.edu.au (Fuzzy) writes:
>
>> The scenario.
>>
>> I have a NT user called 'mrmagoo', with a password of 'mrmagoo'.
>>
>> I set the environment variable OS_AUTHENT_PREFIX to "" - as this was
>> the way the doco suggested a null value should be entered. (I tried
>> leaving it blank, but NT just ignores e.v.'s with blank values).
>OS_AUTHENT_PREFIX is an init.ora parameter so setting it in the environment
>won't work.
>

>> I stopped the Oracle service, and restarted it.
>>
>> I issued the command "CREATE USER MRMAGOO IDENTIFIED EXTERNALLY".
>>
>> I then tried to login to SQL*Plus. No, can't do that, keeps asking
>> for a password. If I give it the password mrmagoo, it gives the good
>> old 01017 error.
>That's because Oracle has created the user OPS$MRMAGOO because
>OS_AUTHENT_PREFIX was set to the default value.
>

>> I've tried setting OS_AUTHENT_PREFIX to "" in the init.ora file, but
>> that didn't work either.
>The name of the user is fixed at the time of creation. To get it to work, you
>need to drop and re-create the user.
>
>--
> Rick
> Rick Wessman
> Distributed Data Security
> Oracle Corporation
> rwessman_at_us.oracle.com

Thanks!

Joel

Joel R. Kallman Oracle Government, Education, & Health

Columbus, OH                             http://govt.us.oracle.com

jkallman@us.oracle.com                   http://www.oracle.com

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation. Received on Tue Apr 14 1998 - 08:18:54 CDT