Re: Externally authentication / OS_AUTHENT_PREFIX for NT

From: <rwessman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 14 Apr 1998 07:51:08 -0400

granta_at_nospam.student.canberra.edu.au (Fuzzy) writes:

> The scenario.
>
> I have a NT user called 'mrmagoo', with a password of 'mrmagoo'.
>
> I set the environment variable OS_AUTHENT_PREFIX to "" - as this was
> the way the doco suggested a null value should be entered. (I tried
> leaving it blank, but NT just ignores e.v.'s with blank values).
OS_AUTHENT_PREFIX is an init.ora parameter so setting it in the environment won't work.

> I stopped the Oracle service, and restarted it.
>
> I issued the command "CREATE USER MRMAGOO IDENTIFIED EXTERNALLY".
>
> I then tried to login to SQL*Plus. No, can't do that, keeps asking
> for a password. If I give it the password mrmagoo, it gives the good
> old 01017 error.

That's because Oracle has created the user OPS$MRMAGOO because OS_AUTHENT_PREFIX was set to the default value.

> I've tried setting OS_AUTHENT_PREFIX to "" in the init.ora file, but
> that didn't work either.

The name of the user is fixed at the time of creation. To get it to work, you need to drop and re-create the user.

--

                                        Rick
                                        Rick Wessman