Help! View performance

From: Suresh Easwar <sje_at_sigma-inc.com>
Date: 1998/04/11

I have a table T with a column C that is indexed on C. Let F be some arbitrary function.

select F(C) from T where C = some_value
/

uses the index just fine.

However I cannot get it to use the index in the following case: create view V as select F(C) D from T
/

select D from V where C = some_value
/

Oracle always does a full table scan in this case. I tried using hints to no avail.

Can someone please explain how I could make Oracle use the index? I really do need to use the view, though.

Thanks
Suresh Received on Sat Apr 11 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT