Re: Terabyte + Data Warehouse Using Oracle & SUN

From: David <darussell_at_msn.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 21:15:02 +0100

I have certainly seen warehouses this big in the UK, in particular British Telecom, most of these tend to use IBM SP2 or Digital Alpha OSF1, So I am very sure that Oracle can handle this volume. Some of the latest >1Tb UK projects are with Banks and Insurance companies, they are using Oracle8. I am sure as long as Sun are confident in you system sizing that Oracle and Sun will do the job.

Always look closely at the CLAIMED size of warehouses, in my experience the raw data is <1Tb, the volume usually includes meta-data, pre-cleansed data and data sets built for OLAP applications, etc. Oracle 8 has been designed to compete head on with products such as NCR, with the inclusion of features such as partitions and star queries/transformations.

The sort of considerations that you will need to be looking at are disk strip sizes, data partitioning rules, transformation tools, OLAP tools and warehouse management tools. The biggest problem for most warehouses is media management and backup strategy (I would recommend RMAN).

I would recommend Oracle, but if the warehouse is to unclude a significant amount of updates you should use Oracle8.

Regards
David Russell Received on Sat Apr 11 1998 - 15:15:02 CDT