Re: Is Oracle V8 a stable version ?

From: David <darussell_at_msn.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 20:43:26 +0100

The is no difference between 7.3.4 and 8.0.4 in terms of reliability when using the standard relational environment, obviously some of the new features are not yet as reliable. I recommend 8.0.4 to my customers and they appear to be happy.

Oracle8 uses more resources than Oracle7, but once you cross the resource threshold Oracle8 beats 7 in performace. You may find that some of you PL/SQL fails compile due to the tightening up standards, but you can get arround this by setting PLSQL_V2_COMPATIBILTY. You should also look at the new ROWID format.

Regards
David Russell