Re: a sad story for Oracle DBAs

From: jared still <jkstill_at_teleport.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 22:49:44 GMT

On 4 Apr 1998 15:59:42 GMT, zhen_at_wam.umd.edu (Zhencan Fan) wrote:

>Even if it were the case as you argued, say there were to be hundreds of
>SQL*Net connections, then you would probably need multi-threaded
>configuration. Allow me to ask you this: where do you think those request
>queue and response queues reside?
>
>Wouldn't it be a major joke to use a 18M SGA to support HUNDREDS of
>SQL*Net connections?
>
>Setting SGA to be 18M for a DEDICATED 896M NT system is just one of the
>many absurd stories. I still have to see how you justify this setting.

Assuming that MTS is not being used, 18 meg for the SGA on a data warehouse may not be so far fetched.

The fact tables will most likely be queried via full table scans. It is very possible that much of the memory is being used for hash joins. Did your friend mention what the init.ora parameters were set to for hash joins? Probably several megabytes.

18 meg may also be enough to cache all of th dimension tables.

Don't jump to conclusions based on the bare minimum of factual information.

Jared Still
Certified Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist ;) Regence Blue Cross Blue Shield of Oregon jkstill_at_bcbso.com
jkstill_at_teleport.com Received on Sat Apr 11 1998 - 17:49:44 CDT