Re: Write in C++ and DIE a DOG's death?? High speed box comming!

From: Matthew O. Persico <mpersico_at_erols.com>
Date: 1998/04/10

Peter Lancashire wrote:
> <snip>

> Personally, I prefer something compact, with an elegant design
> philosophy behind it, that can be extended gracefully, is readable and
> can be analyzed by tools. That includes Java but is arguable for C++.
> What about Smalltalk, Self, Eifel, Prolog, Lisp, Occam, M, Object
> Pascal, Oberon, etc?
>
> While I might write a Web site in Perl, I'd prefer avionics and banking
> to be in something a little more trustworthy.
> --

Well, Peter, which do you want? I wouldn't call C++ compact or Java trustworthy. How many times has the JVM in your browser crashed lately?

OTOH, I have plenty of production stuff in PERL and have had zero, yes zero instances in recent memory where a Perl program "crashed". Received on Fri Apr 10 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT