Re: Is Oracle V8 a stable version ?

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.ml.org>
Date: 10 Apr 1998 14:54:26 -0700

In article <352CD82B.15FB7483_at_web-data.fr>, Pierre Didierjean <pdj_at_web-data.fr> wrote:
>Hello
>
>I have to install Oracle on a NT server. I've got a V7 on UP-UX
>and ask myself what version to choose
>
>V8 or V7 ? What's faster in V8 ? Is it totally compatible ?

V8 is mostly just additions to V7, from a compatibility viewpoint. There are a few more reserved words, the headers on datafiles are different so you can't go downward, but going up can be just a migration utility away. Some internal things are different such as rowid, and executables are 3x larger, controlfiles are much larger. A lot of the internal changes have to do with MTS & parallel server, distributed locks, backups and cacheing.

If you have a conservative production enviornment, you might consider 7, if you have relatively considerate management who can forgive the inevitable bugs, or a situation that would benefit from parallelism and such, go for 8.

If you can get the pubs "Getting to Know Oracle8" and the "Oracle8 Migration Guide" it should answer many questions.

A search on the O home page found the following, among 2000 others: http://www.oracle.com/support/lss/o8mgpre/index.htm

--
These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest

jgarry@eiq.com                           http://www.informationquest.com

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/joel_garry "See your DBA?" I AM the @#%*& DBA! Received on Fri Apr 10 1998 - 16:54:26 CDT