Re: Temp Tablespace Full

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.ml.org>
Date: 9 Apr 1998 16:42:52 -0700

In article <6gisge$pc1_at_news9.noc.netcom.net>, Alan V <alanv_at_opustel.com> wrote:
>Temporary Tablespace 101
>
>Listen and learn -
>In 7.3 and higher, when a Temporary tablespace is designated TEMPORARY
>(alter tablespace temp TEMPORARY) the tablespace should never be coalesced
>because all of the segments being allocated are the same size (pctincrease
>on TEMP should always be 0). Since this same space is going to be allocated
>again the next time that a large sort is done, why go thru the hassle of
>having to re-allocate the same amount of space ?? Leave it allocated to the
>high water mark, and the next process won't have to reallocate it.
>Coalescing the TEMP tablespace will deallocate the allocated extents and
>coalesce them into one huge block of free space. By NOT coalescing the TEMP
>space, you save on I/O later.

To me it sounds as though Gitesh has limited disk space and wants to use that disk space for other things when not doing the major sorts. It they are rare and predictable, that would be reasonable.

--
These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest

jgarry@eiq.com                           http://www.informationquest.com

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/joel_garry "See your DBA?" I AM the @#%*& DBA! Received on Thu Apr 09 1998 - 18:42:52 CDT