Oracle 8 on NT -- setting up OFA compliant installations

From: Jonathan W. Ingram <jingram_at_spam.less.teleport.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 20:36:03 GMT

I've been trying to install Oracle 8.04 onto a Windows NT Server running Service Pack 3 for a few days. I can do a default installation into C:\ORANT and create databases, but when I install to an OFA compliant directory structure and try to create databases I receive Java errors during the database creation process.

I want to set up a directory structure like this:

C:\

   oracle

      data
         database1
         database2
      rdbms
         7.3.4
         8.0.4
      designer2000
      developer2000

I am not able to get in touch with technical support because I am doing the installation for an education institution that has Bronze supprt; since this is my own time, I'm not typically available during the day to deal with Oracle tech support.

Does anyone have any insights to share on this? I would very much prefer an OFA-compliant structure as this server will eventually house multiple databases.

Also, does anyone know why Oracle chose to have default NT installs not follow OFA compliance?

Jonathan Ingram Received on Thu Apr 09 1998 - 15:36:03 CDT