Re: Mail & PL/SQL

From: Nicholas Whitehead <nickman_at_cybernex.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 12:55:40 GMT

On Tue, 07 Apr 1998 22:37:30 GMT, michael.brung_at_eleve.emn.fr (Michael Brung) wrote:

>Hello.
>
>I'd like to make my pl/sql program send an email. I've been told that
>dbms_mail package could help me, but I use oracle 8 with ows, and I haven't
>found anything about this package.
>Has anyone an idea ? (knowing that I cannot execute a cgi script on my server
>because of my webmaster)
>
>Thank you,
>mB

There are a couple of ways you can do it.

  1. Use an external library on the host and link to it in a PL/SQL procedure. The library should have a function that accepts an address string and a message string and mails it to an SMTP server.
  2. A simpler version of the same thing: Use UTL_FILE to write out a mail formatted test file and have a cron process pick it up and mail it.

Hope that helps.....

Nicholas Whitehead
nwhitehead_at_gt.com Received on Thu Apr 09 1998 - 07:55:40 CDT