Re: Stupid Newbie Q.

From: Peter Cugier <pcugier.nospam_at_ibm.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 08:01:05 -0400

hugo wrote in message <352C5FC8.410C_at_faceng.anu.edu.au>...
>Hi there,
> I am new user to Oracle. While trying to create a table
>I got the following error message...
>
>SQL> create table temp as select name,one,three,four from blah;
>create table temp as select name,one,three,four from blah
> *
>ERROR at line 1:
>ORA-01658: unable to create INITIAL extent for segment in tablespace
>USERS
>
>What am I doing wrong?
>
>Thanks,
> Hugo

The tablespace USERS doesn't have enough consecutive free space to create the new table. Check the available free space in the tablespace:

    SELECT * FROM DBA_FREE_SPACE
    WHERE TABLESPACE_NAME = 'USERS';
    (You have to have DBA rights granted to access this information and the dba_* synonyms need to be created for your userid.)

Because you don't use any storage clause the default storage values for the tablespace are set to a value higher than the available free space. Ask your DBA to reduce the default storage values or use the storage clause in your create statement with an INITIAL value at least lower than your biggest block of consecutive free space.

Hope that helps.

Peter Received on Thu Apr 09 1998 - 07:01:05 CDT