Re: Performance on Insert

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 13:34:33 +0200

Filipe Roquette wrote in message <352B4BA3.9F137D63_at_cp.siemens.pt>...
>I've implemented a database loader in order insert historical data on my
>database while consolidating the object references.
>At the moment I can insert records with a rate between 50/55 records per
>second. Unfortunatly this is not enough !!
>I've tried to load in paralell, event with multi-processors, but it
>dosn't work faster!
>Does anyone have any ideas on how to increase the insertion rate ?

When running the INSERT, look at the v$session_wait and v$session_events to get an idea which events are causing the most "delay". Then take it from there.

Jusr remember however, that a simple thing like a unique index on a large table will slow down an INSERT process to a crawl. Every single insert transaction requires an index scan to check for duplicates before inserting it into the table. And when the INSERT process is doing more reads than writes, then you have a problem...

regards,
Billy Received on Thu Apr 09 1998 - 06:34:33 CDT