Re: Stupid Newbie Q.

From: Doug Carter <dcarter_at_tui.com.au>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 15:53:24 +1000

hugo wrote in message <352C5FC8.410C_at_faceng.anu.edu.au>...

>create table temp as select name,one,three,four from blah
> *
>ERROR at line 1:
>ORA-01658: unable to create INITIAL extent for segment in tablespace
>USERS
>
>What am I doing wrong?

Hugo,

When tables are created in Oracle they take up space - this can be controlled by the use of storage clauses. If you leave these clauses out Oracle will use your default tablespace with the tablespace's default sizings. An example of storage clauses follows:

create table TEMP (COL1 date)
tablespace USERS
storage (initial 8K next 8K minextents 1 maxextents 100 pctincrease 0);

Read your manual for details of the various parameters. The error message indicates that the inital extent to be allocated to your table can not be created in the USERS tablespace. This might mean that you do no have any space left in that tablespace, the space is a fragmented, or a smart DBA has made the default initial extent larger than the tablespace size to force people to specify storage clauses. I recommend speaking to your DBA.

Regards

Doug Carter
DBA - TUI Consulting. Received on Thu Apr 09 1998 - 00:53:24 CDT