Which OS for Oracle server?

From: Thomas Lohman <thomasl_at_mtl.mit.edu>
Date: 8 Apr 1998 20:01:12 GMT

I'm currently in the position of making a choice of OS for our new PC-based database server. Given all the constraints, the choice boils down to Solarisx86 or NT Server.

My question: what are people's opinions and experiences with running Oracle on either of these platforms? I have experience with Solaris on UltraSparcs and have limited NT server experience but not enough specific experience when dealing with running a database server.

Please respond to thomasl_at_mtl.mit.edu or post to the group if you feel everyone would enjoy the thoughts on the subject, but I hope this will not degenerate into an OS war. I am simply looking for people's experiences in the practical world.

thanks much!

--tom Received on Wed Apr 08 1998 - 15:01:12 CDT