Re: SQLPLUS setup connection so slow..

From: Dave Adkins <dave_adkins_at_fuse.net>
Date: 9 Apr 1998 02:35:57 GMT

> Do anyone have any idea, why sometimes it take SQLPLUS so long to
> connect to the server?

May I suggest you edit sqlnet.ora, change TRACE_ = USER then review the .trc file. I found our clients were trying to connect via IPC protocol, failing, then getting the TCP connection. On the clients, I turned AUTOMATIC_IPC = OFF. If you use a hosts file and it is on a remote node, it may take time to read it and resolve the ip address. You can put the IP address in tnsnames.ora (poor design, but a little faster). Oracle name server will also put some lag, if you are using that.

But the greatest performance boost I've seen has always been gained by using the most current SQL*Net software. Received on Wed Apr 08 1998 - 21:35:57 CDT