Re: Listeners, Instances, Ports, ...

From: JRStern <JRStern_at_primalsys.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 22:51:15 GMT

On Wed, 8 Apr 1998 18:19:20 -0400, "Venkat" <vreddy_at_ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>First let me clarify a couple of things. A database in Oracle and SQL
>Server is not the same thing. Roughly a tablespace in Oracle is equivalent
>to a database in SS.

A database is also a "namespace" in (Microsoft) SQLServer, so you can have a table Customer in each without confusion. Is that true in Oracle?

> You cannot have multiple databases with one instance -
>it's the other way around. Oracle Parallel Server, ...

I've been told repeatedly that one of the new features in Oracle8 was that it could, for the first time, support multiple databases in one instance. Have I been misinformed?

As for the parallel server, let me get the base product understood first.

Josh Received on Wed Apr 08 1998 - 17:51:15 CDT