Re: Listeners, Instances, Ports, ...

From: Venkat <vreddy_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 18:19:20 -0400

First let me clarify a couple of things. A database in Oracle and SQL Server is not the same thing. Roughly a tablespace in Oracle is equivalent to a database in SS. You cannot have multiple databases with one instance - it's the other way around. Oracle Parallel Server option allows sharing of a single database by multiple instances. You can run as many databases as you want provided you have enough resources on the server. I have used one listener for as many as 6 databases before. You just need to configure the listener.ora properly. Oracle DBA handbook is a very good place to start for architecture.
Venkat