Listeners, Instances, Ports, ...

From: JRStern <JRStern_at_primalsys.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 18:08:35 GMT

I'm coming into an Oracle world from SQLServer land. Pointers to good architecture/overview books more than welcome.

The specific issue we just had was about adding a second database, the better to avoid naming conflicts. In Microsoft SQLServer, this is trivial. In Oracle, I've been told that, even with Oracle8 which for the first time at least *allows* multiple databases in one instance, it is still better to create a second instance of Oracle for a second database. So, this is what we did.

Immediately, we had issues of getting the Listener to know about it. Trying to get them both talking on default port 1521 crashed NT. After many trevails, we have one on port 1521 and the other on 1526, and it seems to work. Question: one listener process, two ports, two instances? Question: anybody seen a situation where you try to run two instances on one port, and the Listener forgets its password? Question: Should it be possible to run two instances through one listener using one port for both?

FWIW, these are both development databases, currently quite small and lightly used.

Josh Received on Wed Apr 08 1998 - 13:08:35 CDT