Re: Repository: Oracle vs. Rochade

From: Stephen Tahmosh <satahmosh_at_statestreet.com>
Date: 1998/04/06

I had looked into Repositories some time ago, and investigated Rochade, as well as a Repository based on RDBMS (it wasn't any of Platinum's products, but I can't recall the name).
In my opinion, Rochade is a very rich, but proprietary product. You won't find the same functionality in an Oracle-based Repository (and I am an Oracle fan), but you will be more likely to customize and extend an Oracle-based repository

lalexander_at_daas.dla.mil wrote:

> We are in the process of making a decision regarding a repository
> product. Up to this point, the 'powers that be' have been leaning
> toward Rochade as the product of choice. However, we have an Oracle
> person on-site that claims that Oracle can do the same thing that
> Rochade can do, and is much more user friendly and less costly. My
> background is DB2, so I am not familiar enough with Oracle to know
> whether or not this is accurate. I thought I would put the question to
> this group in hope that someone could shed some light on Oracle's
> capapabilities in this area. Are there add-ons to Oracle that can
> perform repository functions? Is there going to be an application
> development effort required to 'develop' an Oracle repository that might
> not be required with Rochade? Our management is very big on
> 'out-of-the-box' solutions that require some customization, but not
> full-scale development.
>
> Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated!!
>
> TIA,
>
> Lori F. Alexander
> CDSI
> Dayton, Ohio