Re: VMS BACKUP user can't see the database ORA-01034

From: David A. Owens <daveo_at_criticaldata.com>
Date: 1998/04/06

D.A. Hopkins wrote:

> If BACKUP has run the ORAUSER_<dbname>.COM file then the
> instance should be accessible. There should be STARTUP_< >.COM
> and SHUTDOWN_< >.COM files in ORA_DB.
>
> However you should use SUBMIT /USER=ORACLE732 to run your backup
> script.
> If you started the database as user BACKUP then BACKUP would own
> all the oracle processes.

Thanks for the feedback, however I have avoided using

        SUBMIT /USER=ORACLE732
for backup simply because this can't be used for system shutdown. The system or backup user should be able to run those scripts, they will just need to change their UIC before running it.

Still having trouble with the BACKUP user, but other users can access and startup and shutdown the DB no problem. Received on Mon Apr 06 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT