Re: Write in C++ and DIE a DOG's death?? High speed box comming!

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.ml.org>
Date: 1998/04/06

In article <ptuV.154$Tf3.3407886_at_news.ipass.net>, David Sisk <davesisk_at_ipass.net> wrote:
>This is just my opinion, but there's only two kinds of Java: Microsoft's
>and everyone else's. In my opinion, Microsoft will lose this battle, and
>the Java spec owned by Sun (and endorsed by the rest of the computing
>vendors) will become the de facto standard. The biggest differences at this
>point are the JVM's for each platform, not the language itself (with the
>exception of Microsoft). The JVM's are 2-3 times better now than they were
>a year ago, and you should expect this trend to continue. All this is
>merely my opinion, though. Java is too technically correct not to succeed
>at the level that C++ has (not as a "trendy" language like Powerbuilder,
>Visual Basic, SQLWindows, etc.)

Many things have been technically correct, and haven't succeeded, so no one ever hears about them. Technical superiority may be a hindrance. Never underestimate the power of the dark side, Luke.

I (unfortunately, because I think the guy's manner is making linux et al look bad) have to agree with gold_bag that there are much better ways to program than writing entire applications in C++.

--
These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest
jgarry@eiq.com                           http://www.informationquest.com