SQL*net problem, no tnsnames.ora ???

From: Jeremy Cope <thecopes_at_ihug.co.nz>
Date: 1998/04/04

I have a problem trying to configure sql*net for a new instance and database.

We're running Oracle 7.3 on SGI Irix.

I've created a new database and instance (tins). I can connect using server manager, but not sqlplus. I understand sqlplus uses sql*net to communicate to the instance, but I can't see how to configure it.

I've amended listener.ora and /etc/oratab. I've searched this newsgroup for an answer but everybody sayes update the tnsnames.ora file, however this file does not exist, (I believe it should be in $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin, I searched the entire $ORACLE_HOME), neither does Netman, a tool some say to use.

Can I just create the tnsnames.ora file manually??

What's more baffling is that we have an existing database up and running with client apps talking to it, they use sql*net. So how does that work?? I can use sqlplus on the server to the existing database, without a host connection string??

I've tried reading the Oracle Irix documentation which comes on the install cd , however trying to use Oracle book through a telnet session is impossible.

Any help appreciated as I'm stuck!

Jeremy Cope
intrahealth systems limited
New Zealand Received on Sat Apr 04 1998 - 00:00:00 CST