Re: Turn Off Redo Logs?

From: Jojo <jojo_at_nowehre.com>
Date: 1998/04/03

It is not possible to turn of the use of the online redo logs .... The redo logs is not only used for backup but to keep the consistency of your database ... When you mention that you are using that nightly backup , I presume that you mean a cold backup ...

The cold backup can only recover you that time when you made your last nightly backup .... Not to that point in time immediately before a crash .... You have to reapply the redo logs and sometimes the archived redo logs to recover the database fully ( preferably you should be in archivelog mode) .....

Think of this this way ... If you don't have an online redo log and you got a power interruption or someone switched off the server ... or just shutdown the operating system while oracle is running ..... You need to recover from your nightly backup......Just like you had a serious database crash ...

The rule of thumb for sizing the redo log is dependent upon how busy your oracle database is . You can check your alert log to see how frequent the log switch is occuring ..... The switches should not be more frequent that 45 minutes ..... It it is more frequent ,(say every 5 minutes) increase the size of the redo log ....

On the number of redo logs I think four will be a good number , just make sure you have
at least two sets of them .....

joseph_sumalbag_at_bose.com