PLSQL procedure gets hung..

From: User 1 <tansel_at_openix.com>
Date: 1998/04/03

Another intriguing problem for you, Oracle Experts:

I have been given a PLSQL procedure to be debugged that gets hung when executed. It basically implements a Cascade Update by inserting a new record with a new ID, then updating all the child records with the new ID, and finally deletes the record with the old ID from the parent table. Interesting thing is that when I execute all the sql statements within this procedure one by one, everything works fine. The only diffence that I can see is that in the procedure commits are done by calling 'STANDARD.commit'. I don't really know why 'STANDARD.commit' would be used rather than just 'commit'. But this leads me to think that something is wrong with this.
Does anybody have any ideas if this could be the reason or what else could be the cause of this problem? The procedure is basically as follows:

insert into parent

     select newId, ..., .... from parent where doc_id = OldId. commit;
update chiltable1 set doc_id = NewId where doc_id= OldId; commit;
update childtable2 set doc_id = NewId where doc_id= Oldid; commit

update childtable3 ...
..

commit;
delete from parent where doc_id = OldId;

Thanks..

Have a bug-free day..

Tansel Received on Fri Apr 03 1998 - 00:00:00 CST