Re: Redo logs - striped vs stand alone drive

From: Jojo <jojo_at_nowehre.com>
Date: 1998/04/03

Separating the redo logs from the datafile is a good practice for distributing I/O and gaining improvement on performance . It is also good since it may increase the probability of recovery incase there is a database crash and you loose a disk .... On this case you don't loose a datafile and a redo log at the same time .

About not having the redo log placed on striped disk ..... I didn't understand the wisdom about this until recently ....The nature of redo log is 100 sequential write , and raid stripping performs best on random reads . However if you are sure that you have adequate disk buffering , placing the redo log on stripped disk shouldn't be much of a problem ...Putting the redo log on a separate non stripped disk is the probably a good option to consider ....

joseph_sumalbag_at_bose.com