Re: VMS BACKUP user can't see the database ORA-01034

From: D.A. Hopkins <LRFDAH_at_leeds.ac.uk>
Date: 1998/04/02

If BACKUP has run the ORAUSER_<dbname>.COM file then the instance should be accessible. There should be STARTUP_< >.COM and SHUTDOWN_< >.COM files in ORA_DB.

However you should use SUBMIT /USER=ORACLE732 to run your backup script.
If you started the database as user BACKUP then BACKUP would own all the oracle processes.

In article <35228437.1A49_at_criticaldata.com>,

   "David A. Owens" <daveo_at_criticaldata.com> wrote:
>This is a VMS 7.1 Oracle 7.3.2.3.2 question.
>
>My oracle DBA user on this Alpha box is ORACLE732. I can
 manipulate the
>DB just fine with svrmgrl logged in as ORACLE732.
>
>I want to give the BACKUP user ability to shutdown/startup the
 DB for
>cold backup. So I have granted the BACKUP user ORA_DBA. He
 can connect
>to svrmgrl but doesn't see the database. I currently have a
 TAR opened
>with Orasupport but have not gotten any response. Note that
 "RTHIRE" is
>the one and only SID on this BOX and is currently running.
>
>Thanks for any clues,
>- Dave
>
>Here is a test batch command file that is run as BACKUP:
>
>$ SET UIC [ORACLE732]
>$ SET RIGHTS_LIST/ENABLE ORA_DBA
>$
>$ @DB_DSK1:[ORACLE732.db_RTHIRE]orauser_RTHIRE 'P1' 'P2'
>$ @ora_rdbms:rdbmsuser.com
>$
>$ show proc/priv
>$ show log ora_sid
>$
>$ svrmgrl
>connect internal
>select * from v$database;
>show sga
>exit
>$ exit
>

>And here is what occurs - the log file from the above
 submission:

>$ SET NOVERIFY
>
> 1-APR-1998 12:50:12.95 User: BACKUP Process ID:
 00000C5B
> Node: KREST1 Process name:
>"BATCH_889"
>
>Authorized privileges: