Re: RAID5 vs Mirrored drives with NT 4.0 server

From: David Sisk <davesisk_at_ipass.net>
Date: 1998/04/02

Well, I know that most NT boxes don't support RAID0+1, which is the ideal. I believe that most do support RAID5, RAID1 (mirroring), and RAID0 (striping). RAID5 carries a significant write penalty (1 logical write = 3 physical writes). You can overcome some of this by setting asynch writes ON at the O/S level, but make sure your RAID5 adapter guarantees the write, even if the power fails.

You can mix the two technologies to get reasonable performance. Maybe something like:

Data, indexes, system, rollback segments - RAID5 Redo logs, archive logs, TEMP tablespace - RAID0

Good luck,
Dave