Re: Freeing up temporary segments

From: David Sisk <davesisk_at_ipass.net>
Date: 1998/04/02

If you are at 7.3 or greater, make sure you've got your TEMP tablespace marked as TEMPORARY. As far as deallocating the extents in a TEMP segment, why would you want to? Allocating/deallocating extents is about the most expensive operation in an Oracle database. If you mark the TEMP tablespace as TEMPORARY, then it will simply leave all the extents allocated. Unless you are truly hurting for the space, leave the TEMP segments allocated, as this will yield better performance on sorts, index-builds, etc.

Good luck,
Dave