Re: OpenVMS 7.1 error

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.ml.org>
Date: 1998/04/02

In article <6flp7d$ovj$1_at_otis.netspace.net.au>, joseph Li <lijoecyn_at_netspace.net.au> wrote:
>I remember getting this error sometimes ago, it was caused by the VMS
>account used to start the listener was missing a privilege specified in
>the installation guide. I was using Oracle 7.3.2.3.2 on OpenVMS 7.1
>This error could also happen after a reboot, workaround is to stop and
>start the listener again, I am still trying to find out why it happened
>after a reboot.

The vast majority of after reboot problems I saw on VMS involved not having the exact same privileges and environment as the working system. On a system so rarely rebooted, it's real easy to change something and not propagate it correctly to the startup. Especially if you are monkeying around with trying to get some complicated apps going. INSTALL/LIST sometimes just bewilders people.

--
These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest
jgarry@eiq.com                           http://www.informationquest.com