Re: Freeing up temporary segments

From: Tad Davis <davist_at_isc.upenn.edu>
Date: 1998/04/01

Alan V wrote:

> ALTER TABLESPACE xxxxx COALESCE;

We had the same problem in Oracle 7.1, which does not have a COALESCE option. The symptom was that when we recreated indexes after an update, we kept running into "initial extent" problems, even though (in theory) there was plenty of contiguous free space available. Our DBA group applied a patch from Oracle that fixed the problem -- at least it hasn't happened again since then, although it was happening 2-3 times a week before that. I don't know the patch ID but will try to get more info.

--
Tad Davis                  Lead Programmer Analyst
davist_at_isc.upenn.edu       Information Systems and Computing