Re: Interesting (painful) Migration Problem (Nov 7.2.2.4.10 -> NT 7.3.3.0.0)

From: Marcus Reichardt <mr_at_diamanda.hh.eunet.de>
Date: 1998/04/01

Hero R. Post wrote:

> Hi there,
> I do have experience with the same migration.
> The trick is to create the database with the same tablespaces as the
> original database and create all the users (with the same names) as they
> exist and own objects on the source system.
> Import will try to create all objects in the tablespace it imported them
> from.
> The tablespaces are Oracle items and are platform independent. The datafiles
> are platform/installation specific, that is the reason you have to create
> the tablespaces in your new database.
> All the object will be created for the users by import.
>
> This worked fine for me.
> Good luck

I think it's sufficient to have an arbitrary named, big enough default tablespace defined at import time and import will try to create the tables on the default tablespace, if it fails to create them on their original tablespaces. To force import to fail in creating tables on originally named tablespaces, just don't allow the import user to CREATE TABLESPACEs. You might need to switch the IGNORE=YES option for import.

Marcus Reichardt
Consultant Received on Wed Apr 01 1998 - 00:00:00 CST