NLS_LANG (General Questions)

From: Terry Heung-Man Lam <tlam_at_cs.umd.edu>
Date: 1998/03/31

In article <350F5333.975FCAF1_at_isid-us.com>, Zentaro Ohashi <zen_at_isid-us.com> wrote:
>Hi,
>I am importing Oracle DB export file which is created on HP-UX
>(Japanese) based on NLS_LANG =Japanese_Japan.JA16SJIS to Oracle DB on
>Solaris.
>
>I tried to create DB using orainst but it only have JA16EUC for Japanese
>encoding option.
>I just want to import this data and do some query (no sort based on
>Japanese context needed).
>
>Would someone tell me can I use EUC setting to import SJIS encoded db
>file? (I would use SJIS enable terminal off couse).
>

>Zen
>zen_at_netyear.net Zentaro Ohashi / Netyear 650-631-9666 ex 606

Hi gurus,

I have some general questions regarding to NLS_LANG, hope you can give me some help:

  1. if environment variable NLS_LANG is not set, what is the default value?
  2. How to determine the NLS_LANG value of a database instance (including language, territory, and character set)?
  3. What is common setting for NLS_LANG for Oracle databases in US?

Thanks a lot!
Terry Received on Tue Mar 31 1998 - 00:00:00 CST