Re: Which Server is best for Oracle 7.3 ?

From: Steve Phelan <stevep_at_XXnospamXX.toneline.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1998/03/31

Robert Braeutigam wrote in message <351FA609.D5577452_at_zew.de>...
>Hi,
>
>we plan to set up an Oracle 7.3-Server. The size of the database
>will be around 30-50 GBytes, it should have RAID-5 secured disks and
>the maximum number of users will be around 3-5.
>The system should be capable of running several jobs parallel.
>Some of these jobs need fast I/O, some of them are more CPU-Intensive.

You really need to look at this in a lot more detail. For instance, would a multi CPU system be better than single CPU? That's a big question, and depends on you application, you experience with Oracle, and a lot, lot more. Anyone who can reply to "Some of these jobs need fast I/O, some of them are more CPU-Intensive" in any meaningful way is kidding themselves and you.

BTW, "fast I/O" and RAID5 can be a contradiction in terms. Be very careful here.

You need to give more details on the exact nature of your application and the loads it will place on the database. Oh, and what you are aiming to achieve.

>So the system shouldnt be very specialized on one of these tasks.
>The price of this system should be in the range between $15000 and
>$30000.
>
>We have not decided which OS/Hardware platform to use.
>
>I definitely prefer unix systems because of stability and easy
>administration

Couldn't agree more. But your budget (and size of your DB) may still leave you with a good multi-CPU NT set-up. Don't reject it too early as an option.

Steve Phelan. Received on Tue Mar 31 1998 - 00:00:00 CST