Re: new to oracle (v7.3) on NT - problems talking to a new database....

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 1998/03/30

Mike Kloss wrote in message <351FFF00.A725B82D_at_mcmail.vanderbilt.edu>... <snip>
>that require a login/pasword/service name, but if I try connecting to
>the database another way (ie tcp/ip) either on the server or another
>machine (and you can't establish a bequeath connection from another
>machine, can you?) I get the message "ora-12505: TNS: listener could not
>resolve SID given in connect descriptor".
>
>I'm thinking the problems stem from the lack of a listener, but I don't
>know what I'm not doing to not create a listener service. Wow, a triple
>negative!

Yeah, it seems that all you're missing now is the listener. The listener config file is in $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin (or /net80/admin for Oracle 8) - it is called listener.ora [obviously! ;-)]. Edit this file and configure the TCP protocol. You can remove the IPX and NetBIOS protocols if you want. At the bottom of the file, configure the listener for your database.

Next thing is to start up the listener. There is a lsntctl.exe in the bin directory (Ora 8's listener name differs of course). Start up the listener doing a "lsnrctl start".

If you have gotten this far with creating a NT Oracle db, then configuring the listener should not be a problem. :-)

>Apologies if this doesn't make sense, my brain is a puddle after getting
>me this far. Any and all help cheerfully appreciated.

Mike, the only way to get rid of a brain puddle is with large quantities of Tennessee whiskey. :-)

regards,
Billy Received on Mon Mar 30 1998 - 00:00:00 CST