new to oracle (v7.3) on NT - problems talking to a new database....

From: Mike Kloss <mike.kloss_at_mcmail.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: 1998/03/30

Hello to all.....

I just got started in Oracle, and until I can get to a class (2 weeks from now) I'm learning on my own, which so far is like pulling my own teeth, only not as much fun, and so far less rewarding too.

Anyway, the problem is this. I think I have created a database successfully, in that I create the initXXXX.ora file and use the instance manager to create a database with XXXX as the sid. It then runs those two sql files for me (catalog and something else). I am running this on NT server 4.0, so then I look in the services, and I see that I've got OracleServiceXXXX, OracleStartXXXX, but no OracleTNSListener <id> service. I think that is a problem, but I'm not sure of what I'm doing wrong here. So I forage onward....

I can tnsping this database from the server and a remote machine just fine after setting up a connection profile in the sql*net config program, and if I use sql*net to establish a 'bequeath' connection, I can connect to the database from the server using all those utilities that require a login/pasword/service name, but if I try connecting to the database another way (ie tcp/ip) either on the server or another machine (and you can't establish a bequeath connection from another machine, can you?) I get the message "ora-12505: TNS: listener could not resolve SID given in connect descriptor".

I'm thinking the problems stem from the lack of a listener, but I don't know what I'm not doing to not create a listener service. Wow, a triple negative!

Apologies if this doesn't make sense, my brain is a puddle after getting me this far. Any and all help cheerfully appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

mike.kloss_at_mcmail.vanderbilt.edu Received on Mon Mar 30 1998 - 00:00:00 CST