Re: multiple instances

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 1998/03/30

Doug Carter wrote in message
<6fp31e$trt$1_at_reader1.reader.news.ozemail.net>...
>The magic word here is NT. I can only pass on hear say and rumour (as all
>my Oracle experience is on Unix) but a lot of the DBA's I have spoken to
>have indicated it is either not possible or not worth the effort to put
 more
>than one Oracle Database on each NT box. (Due to registery issues and the
>limitations of an intel based system). This may have changed with Oracle8.

You can run any number of Oracle instances on NT if you have (like with Unix or any other server operating system) enough diskspace and plenty of horsepower. AFAIK there are no limitations when it comes to Oracle and the NT registry, except that you can only have one default Oracle SID (ditto for Unix).

Personal viewpoint - I think that Unix DBAs should stop thinking about NT ito of Windows 3.1 or Win'95. NT is neither.

regards,
Billy Received on Mon Mar 30 1998 - 00:00:00 CST